DC ROCK CLUB
Long live rock, I need it every night

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Yo La Tengo - I'm Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass


Today I'm starting a new feature called the Instant Album Review. What's an Instant Album Review? It's a quick write up of a new album. What the fuck did you think it was? Seriously, get your head out of you’re ass.

Periodically, I'll do a full review of particular albums of note. I'll start with "The Big Disconnect" by The Fake Accents. Factoring my usual procrastination, I'll have that done sometime in May of 2006, long after Rock Club has disbanded due to infighting, creative differences, royalty disputes, and a bad crank habit of a certain member (which member is TDB. My money is on Potsy).

Yo La Tengo - I'm Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass

I've never listened to YLT much. I enjoy songs like "Autumn Sweater" and "Season of the Shark", but never gave them such attention. I will now. With a title like "I'm Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass", you sort of expect a great album. YLT doesn't disappoint. After just two listens I already know this will be on my "Top 25 Albums of 2006" list. It starts off with "Pass The Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind", which clocks in at almost eleven minutes long. A bold beginning. The song is a rock jam gone right (take note Arboretum). It lays down a throbbing bass line and layers chaotic guitar jams on top for a dish that will satisfy even the most discriminating palette. It's best served straight from the oven with a nice Chilean Pinot Noir. Other standout tracks are "I Should Have Known Better", "The Room Got Heavy", and "Mr. Tough", a horn and cowbell infused number that's catchy like pudding is tasty (that would be "very").

YLT cover a lot of music ground on I Will Beat Your Ass: jam rock, infectious melodies, winding instrumentals, percussion driven head boppers (whoa, that sounds dirty), and even stark confessionals. It's pulled off with such ease you almost forget how many bands fail when trying to be so expansive. Yes, it's a long album, but there's plenty to enjoy.

(Cue the predictable album title puns….)

I'm not afraid to say you should get this album. In fact, if you don’t, I will beat your ass. HAHAHAHAHA! I'm so fucking funny.

3 comments:

Jumbo Slice said...

I forgot we discussed giving the albums a 1-10 rating. I give this an 8.4. The only significant drawbacks are the instrumental track and a couple songs that could have been trimmed from the final cut. It's still a very solid, almost great, album.

Jimbromski said...

listening to Mr Tough on the radio right now, catchy song

Jimbromski said...

now Point and Shoot is on, I like this one as well